Social media is a tool that is becoming quite popular these days because of its user-friendly features. Platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and more are giving people a chance to connect with each other across distances. In other words, the whole world is at our fingertips all thanks to social media.
The modern way of keeping in touch with people we know and being aware of current is through social media. The demand for social media has grown worldwide, and it has brought some significant changes in our lives. Even though the effects of social media are debatable, but one thing that everyone would agree that this new "tool" is certainly enjoyable.
People use social media to express themselves and connect with others mostly, and as long as it is used harmlessly, it would not seem toxic. However, social media has increased in people to focus on the temporary, and eventually, this practice might become a permanent change.
Advantages of Social Media:
Social media comes with a lot of advantages. We can owe a substantial part of our society’s growth to social media. We have witnessed a blast of information and content in the last few years and cannot deny the power of social media in our lives.
Social media is widely used to create awareness for important causes in society. It can also help many noble causes run by NGOs and other social welfare societies. Social media can aid the government in other agencies to spread awareness and fight crime. Social media is a strong tool for business promotion and marketing for many businesses. Many communities are built through different social media platforms essential for our society’s growth.
Disadvantages of Social Media:
Social media is considered one of the most harmful elements we have in our lives these days. Wrong use can lead to bad conclusions. There are many disadvantages of social media:
1. Cyberbullying: many children have become the victims of cyberbullying that has caused them a lot of harm.
2. Hacking: The loss of personal data that can lead to security issues. There are crimes like identity theft and bank details theft that can harm any individual.
3. Addiction: Prolonged use of social media can lead to addiction in youth. Addiction causes one to lose focus on other important things like studying etc. People get so absorbed that they get cut off from society and harm their personal lives.
4. Scams: Many predators are looking for vulnerable users that they can scam and make a profit off.
6. Health issues: The excess use of social media can affect your physical and mental health in a big way. People often complain of becoming lazy, fat, itchy eyes, loss of vision, and stress issues after excessive use.
7. Loss of social and family life: Everyone being busy on the phone is one of the most common sites in a family gathering nowadays.
We have millions of users worldwide that use social media on a day-to-day basis. There is a mixed bag of reactions regarding it. It does have a lot of importance and advantages but also brings some hazards with it.